Skip to main content

To work or not to work : that is the question!

To be or not to be: I read in English literature as a high schooler. Until I became a mother, albeit with an educational baggage, so to say. Since then my mind has been grappling with a new dogma of millennial feminist generation: to work or not to work. I am an Indian Muslim woman living presently in America with my husband and baby daughter. People in this part of the free world value education and those in pursuit of education. Therefore, I am often at the receiving end of admiration when people enquire about my educational background. "Oh, that is great! A PhD in Biochemistry and MEd in STEM. So, are you working?" Just as I am about to feel happy, my jaw drops and I shake my head. "That is an honest question though, but not right now!" I end the conversation on a humorous note by pointing towards my 11 months old daughter. But as I come home and put my daughter to bed, I can't help but wonder if people really understood why some mothers can't or don't do jobs. I call it job because work is a broad term but ironically, our society does not consider stay-at-home mothers as working. Although, according to a recent research, being a full time mother is equivalent to doing two and a half jobs. Ask those with experience, it is more exhausting and challenging than most paid jobs. People seldom perceive the scenarios or circumstances that are responsible for the decisions that mothers make for their careers or families. Even if they know the reasons, few would deem caretaking and house management as a commendable job, especially in case of educated women. I often cross paths with mothers who feel the pressure of joining workforce post-partum lest they face discrimination or loss of opportunities in their careers. However, post-baby, most moms are often subjected to prejudice and bias regarding their efficiencies or capabilities. Due to such temperament towards working mothers, women are often coerced to postpone pregnancy or marriage. It is high time we appreciate building personality, fostering ethics, ensuring children's safety and time invested by stay-at-home mothers as an immense contribution to the society. As commendable as being an ambassador for women's equality or running an NGO for children’s safety or being an activist for female empowerment. In America, most working mothers have to rely on daycares, doulas or nannies who are not as safe and budget friendly as self-care for their own kids. To add on, in case of immigrants like me, we seldom have the privilege of having extended family members to lean on for help with babies. Hence, it is not a cakewalk for such women to deal with the overwhelming experience of motherhood alone in a different country, culture and environment. I am fortunate that my education served as a savior for dealing with motherhood and acclimatizing in a foreign land. As I stayed home, I took care of paperwork related to health insurance, finding doctors, hospital registration and booking appointments. I became a prolific reader of parenting blogs and scientific papers related to childhood development, nutrition and psychology. It is a privilege that I am not under the pressure of working for financial reasons as is the case with some mothers and can stay with my child ensuring her safety and health. So, I don’t judge those who return to the workplace immediately after giving birth leaving their kids at the perils of nannies or daycares. For now, there is a lot on my plate as a mother, as a wife and as a woman. I understand that I am not the only one in the boat. Even senator Elizabeth Warren struggled with balancing career and family alone until Aunt Bee came to rescue. In addition, as she said, not every mother has an Aunt Bee who moves in to offer child support as she returns to work. Until the time our society caters to women's needs so they can balance career-family without sacrificing motherhood, we need to stop being judge mental about their career choices. As I finish writing this blog at 1:30 am in the night, my daughter just woke up crying, so I need to go back to work! For all those who might have asked the question, I hope you got your answer. If you are still in doubt, we need to redefine work or motherhood.

Regards
A full-time working mother

Comments

  1. Penned down beautifully !! I completely agree with you. I was fortunate enough in my first one though !! But have to deal with this in the near future. Going to be in the same boat. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. U penned down so accurately what i have been goin thru Nida apa. Jazakallah khair for this article. I cannot put in words what u just gave me. Only another “highly educated immigrant” could have gone thru exact similar experience as mine. Luv u ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure ! Love to women like you too who lift fellow woman like me !

      Delete
  3. Beautifully articulated the situaltion of a 'Full time working mother' :-) Jazakallah khair

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad someone came up with this. Couldn't agree more. Love to you and the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what all non earning mothers have in mind. Very well written.. I reside in Kolkata but my in laws and parents in bihar at 3-4 hrs distance apart. So to meet them and take care of them i have to move to and from here to their place. It is tiresome and also no employer would allow that. Same time taking care of the house and family consumes time which could have been managed by employing other people...hence generating another employment...but as u said ot is hard to find trustworthy people for doing such insider works.. Family is actually the most important aspect of our lives. Especially the children. We cant take chances. All i am saying this is to acknowledge women who work outside and earn some bucks on their own with extra stress but same time stay at homes do all the chores, negotiate with vendors, teaching their kids at home etc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! Means a lot to me. I am honored to write something that resonates with women's feelings and your appreciation shall keep me motivated to write more Insha Allah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful write-up, Nida apa. All the sentiments expressed thoroughly resonates in our society.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Revisiting Sir Syed's dream!

It is that time of the year when people exclaim "Winter is coming" while Aligarians proclaim "S.S. Day is coming"! With the season of festivity in India, arrives Sir Syed's Day - October 17. Every year, the birthday of this great reformist, philosopher and educator is celebrated with rejuvenated spirit at my alma mater, Aligarh Muslim University (AMU). The advent of this week is marked by decorating the university 'like a bride', literally. In this digital era, Aligarians round the globe express their love for Sir Syed by changing their profile pictures, sharing his excerpts/speech/quotes on social media. All this serves to rekindle the nostalgic memories and love for one's alma mater. Having spent nearly a decade at AMU, S.S. Day celebrations are etched in my long term memory! The much anticipated day commences with literary/cultural events glorifying AMU and its founder. As the night befalls, the melodious University Tarana echoes in the air cul

Becoming the First

Becoming was a pretty mundane verb until Michelle Obama elevated it to stardom. In case the literary grapevine has not reached you, the autobiography penned by the former first lady, the 2018 bestseller is titled BECOMING. History tells us, it has been the legacy of former First Ladies of the Unites States to share their experiences in the form of memoirs. From Eleanor Roosevelt to Hillary  Clinton, this tradition has sparked public interest but Michelle’s memoir has garnered the most attention worldwide. And it is something evident in the title of her book -  becoming . Since her appointment as the first lady of the United States, she became various things to various audiences. As the first African American woman in the White House built at the cost of black slaves' sweat, she became the realization of Martin Luther King Jr's " I have a dream ". For striving working class families living in rural neighborhoods in America, she became the representation of the girl fro